Monday, April 13, 2009

The Most Useless and Useful Baby Stuff

I am going to list the baby stuff I have found totally useless and the stuff I've found most useful. I'm sure my opinion differs from others, but here it goes:

The Most USELESS Baby Stuff

1. Baby Monitor - unless you live in the White House, this gadget is dumb, do not, I repeat do not drop a ton of money on a fancy one. I used it for the first 2 weeks and drove myself insane with it. You will never get any sleep having this thing on during the night, you will hear every single whimper and sigh and stay awake waiting to hear if the baby cries. Oh and when the baby does his or her "I'm Hungry" or I'm Wet" cry trust me you will hear it, no baby monitor needed for that. Get some sleep and buy a cheapie to use when the baby in inside the house sleeping and your outside.

2. Baby Wipes - another waste of money, I returned all the baby wipes I bought. We used washcloths in the hospital and continued using them at home, they just work so much better. We did use baby wipes for one day and we went through an entire container in just one day. So save yourself some money and go to the dollar store and buy some cheap ass washcloths to use. I will use baby wipes when I go out with the baby, but that will be the only time.

3. Halo Swaddle Me Sleepsacks - yet another gimmicky waste of money, I returned both of the sleepsacks I purchased. Lots of people do swear by these, but save yourself some money and steal the receiving blankets they have at the hospital and swaddle your little one in those.

4. Pack and Play Sheets - you guessed it, another waste of money, we used our sheet once, it is a pain in the ass to put on and it is just easier to throw a receiving blanket in there instead.

Must Have Baby Stuff

1. Original Boppy and Boppy Lounger - We use both of these items daily, the lounger is great when you want to have the baby sitting next to you on the couch, just plop him or her on the lounger and your good to go. The Original Boppy is great if your breastfeeding to lay the baby on so you don't have to hold him or her and it is still awesome if your bottle feeding too, just lay the baby on it and it gives your arms a break. You can also prop the baby up int the Original Boppy so he or she can look around.

2. Dr. Brown's Bottles - LOVE THEM!!!! I just love these bottles, yes there are about 3 parts to each bottle, but it isn't annoying and they are not hard to clean at all. They do such a great job reducing air that it is worth the extra minute it takes you to clean them.

3. Playtex Ortho-Pro Pacifiers - I said I would never give my kid a pacifier, but I ended up giving him one and now we own 4 of this type of pacifier. He loves them. We were given a Soothie brand pacifier in the hospital and he hates that one.

4. Playtex Fridge To Go Bottle Cooler - This thing is sweet!!! It keeps the bottles super cold when you are out and about.

5. Fisher Price My Little Lamb Swing - It doesn't matter what kind of swing you get, just get one!! We have put Davis in his swing from day one and he loves being in it.

6. Grandma El's Diaper Rash Ointment - Ditch the Desitin, A-D Ointment and Aveeno, go online and buy a tub or a tube of Grandma El's, it is the best. I will never use anything but Grandma El's.

No comments: