Monday, July 2, 2012

My Big Confession

I have a huge confession to make.

I am coming out with it because I think a lot of people might benefit from my confession.

My husband and I have not slept in the same bed for almost 4 years.

Yep.

And we are perfectly happy.

So before you get all, that is bad for the marriage, I am going to stop you right there.

How is getting a good nights sleep bad for a marriage? Who said sleeping in the same bed defines a marriage?

This all started back when I got pregnant for Davis.

In the beginning of my pregnancy I was restless and my husband's snoring drove me nuts.

I would go back and forth between sleeping in our bed and the spare bedroom bed.

By the time I was 28 weeks pregnant I literally couldn't walk or get up from a laying or sitting position without making an event of it.

Our bed sits super high off the ground and that made it that much worse.

I officially moved into the spare bedroom until the end of my pregnancy because at that point, the bed was easier for me to get in and out of and even though we have a huge king bed, having my own bed to take over with my pregnant self was so nice.

After Davis was born I did move back to our bedroom briefly.

But Davis never slept, ever, like 2.5 years ever.

So after a while I just started sleeping in the spare bedroom because it was next to his room and it just worked better for being up all night.

What little sleep I did get wasn't disrupted by my husbands snoring and his constant tossing and turning.

So there you have it.

That is how we ended up sleeping in separate beds and rooms.

I will probably never sleep in the same bed as my husband again.

Weird. I know.

We even joke that our next house needs 2 master bedrooms.

Although, really, we are not joking, we are serious.

Look, I get a good night sleep, he gets a good night sleep. We are happy. We like it this way.

I also am pretty sure that married couples sleeping in separate beds and/or rooms is more common than you think.

So friends, if you wonder why our spare room is so girly, now you know why.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I think that's awesome. When B and I first moved in together, we weren't married, so we had separate rooms. We usually slept in the same room, but it was SO nice to have my own place to go if I needed/wanted to. I wish we had enough rooms in our current house to do that.