Sunday, August 14, 2011

Leftovers

When I started staying home I started being a little more conscious of food waste.

Before, when I worked, we would sometimes eat leftovers and mostly we'd just throw them away.

Most meals I make serve 4-6 people.

We are a family of 2.5.

I say 2.5 because Davis doesn't always eat what we do for dinner and if he does, it is such a small amount that he only counts as 1/2 a person.

So, since we really only eat half of what I make for dinner, what to do with the leftovers?

Like I said, pre-stay at home mom I would have let the sit in the fridge for a week, we maybe ate them, we maybe packed them for lunch, but mostly they just went in the trash.

Now I always freeze the other half of our dinners, as long as it is something that freezes well.

I love it.

Then the next week or in a few weeks I don't have to actually cook as much, just thaw and re-heat.

I'm saving money and saving myself precious time.

Whenever we grill chicken, we always have leftovers, here is a great recipe that my husband and I love.  I've modified it from the original recipe, so don't ask what that is, it is long gone by now, but here is my recipe.

1 lb. or so of cooked chicken, cut into small cubes

1 medium size green pepper (cut into strips)

1/4 - 1/2 cup Feta cheese (depending on your taste, I go heavy on the feta so I do 1/2 cup, if your not a feta person, use whatever kind of cheese you like.  I've even been known to use shredded taco cheese!)

1 package of frozen cheese tortellini (think it is usually about 10 oz.)

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup of nuts (I say nuts because I use whatever, the original recipe calls for chopped walnuts, but I use pecans or walnuts, both equally good, sometimes I don't even use them)

About an hour to two hours before you want to serve dinner make the dressing by mixing 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of nuts.  Put in the fridge.

When you are ready to eat chop up your green pepper and chicken.  Heat about 1 TB of olive oil in a pan and sautee the green pepper until cooked to your desired way, I like mine kinda burnt.  Once those are cooked throw in the already cooked chicken and just brown it a bit. Remove from heat and put in a bowl to cool off.

Next, boil the tortellini according to the instructions on the package.  Once they are cooked and drained, I like to run cold water over them so they are not hot.  This salad is better on the cool side.

Toss together the chicken/green pepper, tortellini, dressing and feta cheese.

Feel free to add your own twist to it, sometimes I add in baby tomatos or little sliced black olives.

I'm not very good about sticking to recipes, I like to experiment if you will, which sometimes drives my husband crazy.  He always comments how nothing I make is ever the same as the time before :o)

Enjoy!!!!!

1 comment:

Sassytimes said...

Sounds good, I'll have to try it. It reminds me of the Mediterranean Pasta at Bravo.