Saturday, September 27, 2008

2nd Trimester Here I Come!!!! and Watch Out ER!!

I'm officially in the 2nd trimester of my pregnancy!!! I can't believe it has already been 3 months, before I know it I'll be holding my baby. So much has happened since the last time I posted. Last week Jeff and I spent 5 days in Orlando, FL. He had a softball tournament, so we spent time going to games and spent time doing other things. We went to Disney's Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, did a little outlet shopping and some swimming in the hotel pool. When we got back Sunday I noticed some pain in my chest on the left side, nothing new, I get this every so often and it normally would go away in a day or two. Well, come Tuesday it has intensified A LOT and I can barely sit at my desk by Tuesday afternoon. My family doctor moved out of town over the summer and I never bothered to find a new one. I called the practice she had been at though to see if I could get an appointment with another doctor, sure they said, next Monday! I was like ummmm, I can't wait that long this is really bad. So the receptionist said, well maybe we can squeeze you in tomorrow afternoon, please hold. I get pissed and hung up. I called Jeff in tears and he said just leave work please I know how much pain you are in and you can't sit there until 5 p.m. like this. He begged me to leave and he said he'd take me to the ER. I told him NO WAY, I had already been off work for 4 days to go to Orlando and I couldn't leave early. Well, a half hour later the pain got more intense and I left. We ended up at the ER, they thought it was a possible blood clot due to the pregnancy and recent flight. I had an EKG which turned out fine, bloodwork which also turned out fine and an ultrasound of my legs for blood clots which also turned out fine. I'm still in the worst pain of my life and have no answers. I get sent home. About an hour later the pain gets worse and we are back. They decided to give me a shot of Nubain for pain and yes Nubain is OK for pregnant women. I of course am allergic to almost every singe narcotic pain killer, so why wouldn't I be allergic to Nubain. I break out in a rash and start itching within 10 minutes. I am then given Benadryl which makes me super tired. I was so not with it, but at least it took the edge of the pain. I'm then sent home again, still with no answers about why I have the pain or what it is from. I'm very frustrated at this point, but so drugged that I don't really care. I wake up the next day still in the same amount of pain and my mom called her family doctor and got me an appointment for that afternoon. I explained my symptoms to the doctor, she pushed around on my chest and says "I'm pretty sure you have Costochondritis". Finally, an answer!! I had told her I'd had the pain before off and on for the last year, but never this intense. She told me I had a condition called Costochondritis, it happens to a lot of people, mostly women and it is when the cartilage between your sternum and ribs starts seperating and becomes inflammed. Any kind of lifting or strange movement can make it worse and with my being pregnant and things stretching out anyways it made the pain that much more intense for me. I'm still in pain, but at least I have answers and can take better care of myself to avoid this happening again. I can only sleep sitting up in our loveseat which isn't so horrible, but it isn't the bed. I'm not allowed any pain mediction except for Tylenol, I was given Tylenol with Codeine but that is only for night time to help me sleep. I just hope the pain subsides soon and I can feel like myself again.

No comments: