Sunday, September 14, 2008

Maternity Clothes Review

I have spent numerous hours trying to find fashionable, good fitting maternity jeans. I know I'm only 11 weeks along, but regular jeans no longer fit me, it is really weird considering I've only gained 1 lb. So, I'm going to list the stores I visited in no particular order and review their selection of maternity wear. My opinion on the following stores may also differ from yours, so please take no offense if you had good luck at one of the stores I didn't have good luck at.

1. Mimi/Motherhood Maternity - this is by far the BEST store I've been to, not only do they have a wide variety of all types of maternity clothing, they also sell DESIGNER maternity jeans. I'm very, very picky when it comes to my jeans and think nothing of spending $80-$100 on a pair of regular jeans. I'd rather have one or two great pairs of expensive jeans than five pairs of crappy fitting inexpensive jeans. So, I found a pair of IT brand jeans at Mimi that fit like a glove, they are FABULOUS! They did cost $108, but feeling good about myself is worth the price. I will be back to this store again, hopefully I'll hit some good sales because the Mimi side is very expensive, but the Motherhood side is a little less expensive so that is a plus.

2. Old Navy - I'm not even sure what to say about Old Navy except for the store by me sucked. There was NO selection, there was like half of a corner dedicated to the maternity clothing at my local store. I was very, very disappointed. I will not be back. I might order a few tops online, but I would never order jeans from Old Navy online. I know how ill-fitting their regular clothes can be and imagine the maternity line is the same way.

3. JCPenney - Another big thumbs down here. I'm not even going to review it except that I'll say don't waste your time.

4. Burlington Coat Factory - Another loser in my eyes. Yeah, the clothes are cheap, but they also look cheap. I tried on a pair of "boot cut" jeans that were $16.99 and they were dorky looking peg legs. I will not go back.

5. Target - Target is OK, I tried some jeans on here, they fit funny, but then again I'm a tough fit for jeans. They have some cute tops, but everyone must be the same size as me because the only sizes left were XL. They don't have a huge selection, I think about 4 racks of maternity, but what they did have was cute. Target has more maternity available online and I'd for sure consider ordering some tops online.

6. Kohls - I love Kohls, but the maternity selection was just OK. I won't buy jeans from them, but I'd buy some tops if I found a few cute ones.

7. The GAP - The Gap has a bigger selection online than the store, but they still had some cute stuff in store. I tried on every single pair of jeans they sell and not one pair passed my test, of course Gap jeans always looked terrible on me pre-pregnancy, so why would their maternity jeans look good, right? I will go back, but for tops only.

The choice in maternity wear available has really depressed me. I can't believe that major department stores like Dillards and Macy's don't carry maternity. Oh well, at least I'm only pregnant for 6 more months. Another plus is the style right now in regular clothing is flowy/babydoll, so I can probably get away with tops purchased at regular clothing stores for a while. My other saving grace is that I work in a super casual office and can wear sweats to work.

No comments: