Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Worn Thin

My patience that is.

The 3 year old attitude has definately taken it's toll on me.

Every single day feels like an unneccesary battle.

It is a fight to get dressed.

It is a fight to eat meals.

It is a fight to go outside and play.

Everything is a fight.

I was reading a book yesterday that I have, particularly the section on potty training and Davis meets all of the criteria of being ready except one.

Here is the exact quote from that book:

"He is not embroiled in negativism. If his favorite word is still NO and you're still neck deep in a daily struggle with him over who's in charge, this is not the best time to start a venture that requires as much cooperation as using the toilet."

Now I know why so many moms from the group I belong to that have boys didn't get theirs trained until 3-1/2 years old. 

My kid is going to have to be a pre-school drop out before he even starts at the rate we are going....

2 comments:

Sassytimes said...

I've heard boys take longer. And his March personality doesn't help. Sophia was already 100% trained at this age. Evelyn could totally do it, but she doesn't want to. She flat out says "NO". ;)

He'll do it when he's ready. No kid has ever grown to adulthood not using the potty. Ha.

The lesson for age 3 is to pick your battles. If you're not going anywhere, let him be naked. If he doesn't want to eat, let him be hungry. He'll eat when he's ready to. Options are good too. If he has to get dressed, give him 2-3 options (that all mix/match) and let him pick. 3 year olds like to make all the decisions. Fun, fun.

It'll get better!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I totally second what Steffany said! Henry is 4 and is still struggling with potty training.