Sunday, September 12, 2010

Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Recipe

I loveeeeee Starbucks Peppermint Mochas, they are the perfect combination of coffee, chocolate and pepperminty goodness.  I cannot afford to spend $4 a day on a grande size mocha so I bought my own supplies and have perfected the recipe, I will of course share it with you.  I first purchased 2 containers of mocha powder and peppermint syrup directly from Starbucks, it cost me $23.  I'm have used 1/4 of the bottle of peppermint syrup and half of one of the tins of mocha powder and it has already paid for itself.  I've made probably 20 mochas out of that.  The cost of 5 grande size peppermint mochas from a Starbucks shop is $20 so if you don't mind making your own, it is worth it.

On with the recipe!

12 oz hot, strong coffee (I usually just add an extra scoop when I make a pot to make it a little stronger)
4 oz hot milk of your choice (soy, skim, 1%, 2%, whole, whatever you fancy)
2 T hot water
2 T mocha powder
2 T peppermint syrup

Brew coffee, I like to make my coffee a little strong for the mocha so I throw in an extra scoop if I am making a mocha.  While the coffee is brewing I put 2 T of water in a small dish and microwave it on high for about 30 seconds until it is boiling or almost boiling.  Remove from microwave and add in 2 T of mocha powder, stir until mixed well, it will make a thick syrup.  Heat 4 oz of milk on high in microwave for 20-30 seconds.  Remove from microwave, stir in mocha powder syrup, then stir in 2 T of pepper mint syrup, last add the 12 oz of hot coffee.  Since I like my mochas extra hot I will then put it all back in the microwave on high for 20-30 seconds so it is steaming.  Enjoy!!!

If you want to make it an iced mocha, follow the directions above, but ahead of time make the coffee, put it in a container in the fridge so it can be very cold, I usually do this with my leftover coffee from the morning knowing I'll make myself a treat that afternoon.  I also do not heat the milk up for an iced mocha.  You will however have to heat up the 2 T of water and mix in the 2 T of mocha powder, in order to get the powder to mix up well it needs hot water.  Serve over ice!!!

You can add whipped cream to both the hot and iced mochas, but I always get mine made with nonfat milk, no whip.  Too many calories!!  But if you don't care about calories go for making your mocha with whole milk and whipped cream on top, it is extra yummy with all the extra fat and calories.

No comments: